Monday, April 15, 2013

Kung Pao Chicken Meatballs

I guess it's pretty clear at this point that we eat a lot of foods in meatball form.  I think it has something to do with portion control and a big burst of flavor in little pieces.  I first made this recipe to the letter and made burgers.  But as I was planning my menu this week, I decided that this would also be delicious in a meatball and I went for it.  So glad I did!  Really, really tasty and so easy!




















Kung Pao Chicken Meatballs
adapted from Iowa Girl Eats

1 lb ground chicken
2 green onions, chopped
3/4 cup panko
1/4 cup chopped peanuts
1 egg white
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup mirin
4 tsp sriracha
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp ginger, minced
1 tsp cornstarch
1/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 400F.  In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, mirin, sriracha, brown sugar, sesame oil and ginger.  In a larger bowl, combine chicken, onions, panko, peanuts, egg whites, garlic and 2 tbsp of sauce mixture.  Create 8 meatballs and place them in a greased baking pan.  Bake 25 minutes or until 165F inside.  While the meatballs are baking, whisk together cornstarch and water and whisk into sauce mixture.  Pour into a small sauce pan and reduce over medium heat until it is thick enough to coat a spoon.  Spoon sauce over meatballs when plated.

No comments:

Post a Comment