Friday, January 25, 2013

"Chinese" Chicken

This is so easy for a weeknight dinner.  You can prep it day of, or you can marinate it the day or night before (my preference).  Serve it on top of some white or brown rice and lightly steamed sugar snap peas.

"Chinese" Chicken
adapted from my mom

2-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into 1/4" slices
4 tbsp Hoisin sauce
1 tbsp minced ginger (or to taste)
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp sesame oil (optional since I've never been able to find it in stores and it's totally fine without it)

In a medium-sized bowl, mix together Hoisin, ginger, sugar, soy sauce and sesame oil.  Put the cut up chicken in the bowl and stir to coat completely.  Cover and refrigerate if you're into that kind of thing.

Heat a skillet on the stove to medium heat.  Add the chicken and sauce.  Saute until chicken is cooked through and serve.


See?  So easy.  And so, so, SO tasty.  Something to experiment with and something I'll have to try:  coat raw chicken with cornstarch and bake, heat up sauce in a wok, add baked chicken and toss to coat.  That's how I make my General Tso's Chicken which tastes crazy authentic, but way healthier.  Recipe to come.

PS, if I ever type "resume" instead of "recipe," (which I totally just did and caught myself) please understand that resumes and recipes are all that are ever on my brain.  I actually say it out loud as a mistake all the time.  Good thing I greatly enjoy both things.

No comments:

Post a Comment