Friday, January 18, 2013

"Greek" Shrimp and Tomatoes over Amazing Rice

I've made this recipe twice and it is freaking delicious.  I've never thought about mixing anything in rice before except for peas in yellow rice, but this is something I'm going to put some serious thought into for the future.




















"Greek" Shrimp and Tomatoes over Amazing Rice
adapted from All Day I Dream About Food

1 cup prepared white rice
3 tbsp olive oil, separated
1/2 cup feta cheese crumbles
1/4 cup grated parmesan
1 tbsp dried basil (or to taste)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup white wine (I use Goya cooking wine)
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste

1.  Heat oven to 350F and spritz 9x9" Pyrex or baking dish with cooking spray.  Put the rice in the dish and combine with 1 tbsp olive oil, feta, grated parmesan and basil.  Mix well and spread it on the bottom of the baking dish.  Set this aside.  Don't sample too much or you'll have nothing left when it comes time to bake.
2.  In a skillet (I use my wok), heat 2 tbsp olive oil.  Add garlic and saute for less than a minute, constantly moving it around - don't let it brown.  Add shrimp and saute until just until it's almost done.  Remove from skillet into baking dish and arrange on top of the rice.
3.  Add the white wine to the pan and boil until reduced.  (This is where I get really impatient because I'm so close to done and my sauce ends up too saucy.)  Add to skillet drained tomatoes, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and boil until the sauce thickens (a few minutes,  I'd assume, but I never make it that far.)  Pour sauce over shrimp and place baking dish in oven.  Bake 10 minutes.
4.  Remove and serve and try to remember to breathe in between bites.





















The recipe I used suggested a more low carb and gluten free cauliflower "rice" but I'm still in the early stages of my relationship with cauliflower and not ready to go there yet.  I also get way too excited once the shrimp is on the rice to wait for the wine to reduce.  I'm tempted just to half it and warm up the tomatoes with the red pepper flakes.

The man has suggested that I try this with chicken sometime, but my mom has a similar recipe for a "Greek" chicken that I will post in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment