Monday, January 21, 2013

Sunday Staple: Herb Roasted Chicken

Everyone knows that Sunday is my cooking day.  I go grocery shopping and prepare for the week.  Most Sundays I roast a whole chicken that I can use for various things throughout the week, like putting it on salads for lunch.  I used to get a couple of chicken from Sam's every week, but have you seen the lines???  I can't seem to master the same flavor, but this one is really moist and goes with any kind of dish.




















Herb Roasted Chicken
adapted from Better Homes & Gardens cookbook

1 3-1/2 to 4 lb whole roaster chicken
2 tbsp butter, melted
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp ground sage
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp lemon-pepper seasoning or black pepper

Preheat over to 375F.

Clean the bird, dry it, and set it in a 13x9 baking dish.

Microwave the butter in a small bowl.  Add to it garlic, basil, sage, thyme, salt and pepper and combine.  Spread all over and inside the chicken with a brush or your hands.

Roast in the middle of your oven for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours, until it's 160F in the fattest part of the breast.


I've tried a bunch of different recipes for roasted chicken - even one that promised to be exactly like the rotisserie style, but it was awful.  This is by far my favorite and comes out perfectly every time.  I just had some on a salad for lunch, but I think it's time for a mid-afternoon snack of chicken and horseradish sauce.

Other things I made yesterday (recipes and links to come):
Sausage, Egg and Cheese Crescent "Ring"
Corn & Cheddar Quiche (another Sunday Staple)
BBQ Bacon Chicken Ranch Dip
Pulled Chicken (for above dip which will also be used for Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls this week)

No comments:

Post a Comment