Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Avocado, Mozzarella and Bruschetta Chicken

Holy avocado.  I made this tonight and I'm already sharing the recipe, so you know it's good.  The man is looking forward to the leftovers tomorrow when I meet a friend for dinner (at Chazz: A Bronx Original omg omg omg can't wait!!!).  Meanwhile, we're both watching what we eat but have different dietary needs, but this suited both of us perfectly with no modification.  I served his on whole wheat spaghetti and mine solo.





















Avocado, Mozzarella and Bruschetta Chicken
(barely adapted) from Iowa Girl Eats

1 cup balsamic vinegar
4 chicken breasts, pounded down to about 1/2 inch or less, all the same (save yourself the cooking time, srsly)
extra virgin olive oil
salt & pepper (I totally forgot this)
pre-made bruschetta topping
1 avocado, sliced (not the end of the world if it's not quite ripe yet)
4 mozzarella cheese slices (or shredded)

Pour balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan and bring to a boil.  Turn heat down to medium and simmer and reduce until vinegar is thick enough to coat a spoon, about 20 minutes.  Set aside to cool.

Place oven rack to top position and preheat broiler.  In a large skillet, spray with cooking spray and add chicken when warmed.  Cook through, flipping on both sides several times.

Transfer chicken to a foil-lined, cooking-sprayed baking sheet.  Top each with 2 tbsp bruschetta mix, 3-4 slices of avocado, and a slice of mozzarella.  Broil until cheese is melted and serve with a drizzle of the balsamic vinegar.


So I totally screwed up the balsamic, but I don't care because it was still delicious, just thinner than expected. 

Tip I recently learned about cutting avocado slices:  after cutting into halves, slice the slices diagonally, then slide out with a spoon.  The avocado I used tonight was just this side of unripe and it worked perfectly.  I'm a little jealous over the leftovers, but ... Chazz!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment