Sunday, May 12, 2013

Chicken and Vegetable Stir Fry with Ginger Sauce

A bunch of (almost 10?) years ago my mom gave me a ton of recipes copied out of her recipe books or magazines.  At that time I was still a really picky eater, so these recipes have her little handwriting on it with suggestions for substitutions or omissions.  This is probably how I learned to cook, from these little notes.  Good call, Mom, on sending me this one.  I'm sorry it took me so long to try.  At least I'm not a picky eater anymore!  Also, I have the cookbook this came from, in addition to the photocopy, so let me know if you want that back!  Mom's notes are in italics:





















Chicken and Vegetable Stir Fry with Ginger Sauce
from The 15 Minute Gourmet: Chicken

Ginger Sauce:
6 tbsp white rice vinegar --or any white or cider vinegar
6 tbsp sugar
3/4 cup water
2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp cold water
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp finely minced fresh ginger

To complete the recipe:
2 tbsp canola or safflower oil, divided --olive oil ok too (I used vegetable)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch long by 1/2 inch wide strips
3 ribs bok choy, cut into 1/4-inch slices (also shred green tops) --can eliminate if you want (I did!)
2 carrots, thinly sliced diagonally
1 red bell pepper, cut into 2 inch long by 3/8 inch wide strips
1 small onion, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
1 tsp minced garlic

Prepare sauce by stirring together the vinegar, sugar, 3/4 cup water and soy sauce in a small sauce pan.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  Reduce to low and simmer 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.  In a small bowl, stir together cold water and cornstarch until smooth.  Stir it into the sauce pan.  Cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce is clear and slightly thickened.  Remove from heat.  Stir in ginger and cover.  Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat.  Add the chicken and stir fry for about 5 minutes or until cooked through.  Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.  Heat another tbsp of oil in the pan.  Stir fry the vegetables for about 4 minutes or until crisp-tender.  Stir in the garlic and chicken.  Serve over rice, spoon ginger sauce over.

No comments:

Post a Comment