Saturday, November 2, 2013

"The Best Chili I Ever Ate"

This picture is horrible and I actually did a really bad job of cooking this chili this time.  The recipe calls for the chili to be cooked in a pot on the stove, then transferred to a baking dish.  I've successfully made this in a crockpot more than once, but I don't know what happened this time.  Maybe I didn't get the chili hot enough to bake the cornbread on top.  Instead, the cornbread kind of spread throughout the chili and thickened it up.  From what I was told, it was not very good.  But, you should still make it the right way.






















"The Best Chili I Ever Ate"
adapted from Heartland USA Magazine

2 lbs ground meat (I have used venison/beef mix in the past, or just beef, or beef/veal like I did this time)
1 cup diced onions
1 medium red or green bell pepper, chopped
16 oz can diced tomatoes
16 oz tomato juice
16 oz can pork and beans
16 oz can kidney beans, drained
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tbsp chili powder
1 cup grated cheddar
2 cups corn meal mix
15 oz can creamed corn
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar

Brown the ground meat in a skillet, drain and transfer to a large pot.  Add onion, tomatoes, tomato juice, pork and beans, kidney beans, salt, garlic powder, chili powder and red pepper flakes.  Cook on medium heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  In a separate bowl, combine cornmeal, cream corn, milk and sugar.  Preheat oven to 400F.  Pour chili in a deep 9x13" baking dish.  Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.  Pour cornmeal mixture evenly over the top of the chili.  Bake in oven for 35 minutes or until cornbread top is golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment