Saturday, August 1, 2015

Balsamic Mushroom Pearl Couscous

I rarely cook for just myself, and when I do, it's usually just the same couple of easy things.  I was looking for a new couscous recipe and I couldn't NOT make this one.  And it's amazing, just as it reads.  I'll be eating it for a week.  Sorry for the cell phone pic, my camera no longer keeps a charge.





























Balsamic Mushroom Pearl Couscous
from Stacey Homemaker

3 cups pearl couscous, uncooked
3 tbsp olive oil (2 tbsp for sauteing, 1 tbsp to mix in cooked couscous)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 lb mushrooms, sliced
2 cups kale, thinly sliced
4 tbsp balsamic vinegar (2 tbsp for cooking mushrooms, 2 tbsp to mix in cooked couscous)
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 oz goat cheese (I used crumbles)
2 tbsp balsamic glaze to drizzle on top
1/4 tsp ground pepper
salt to taste

Heat a large saute pan over medium heat.  Add 2 tbsp olive oil and heat up.  Add the onions to the pan and cook for 5 minutes.  Add the garlic, cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant.  Add the sliced mushrooms, cook for 5 minutes and don't stir - let them soak up the oil in the pan.  Reduce heat the medium-low and add 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar.  Stir and saute for another 5 minutes or until the mushrooms have absorbed the balsamic.  While the mushrooms are cooking, cook the couscous according to the package instructions.  When the couscous is done, add it to the large pan with the mushrooms.  Stir to combine.  Add 2 tbsp balsamic, 1 tbsp red wine vinegar, pepper and salt and stir.  Remove to a serving dish (I let it sit and cool down quite a bit) and mix in goat cheese and kale.  Drizzle the balsamic glaze over the top and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment