Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Chinese Jalapeno Chicken

Here's another recipe I changed up the cooking method for.  I think I actually made it a lot healthier.  Rather than deep frying the chicken, I used the same cooking method as my General Tso's Chicken.  This was really tasty and we had no leftovers!  I had some gorgeous jalapeno peppers from the farmers market, although you can't really see that in the picture.  I think I overcooked them a teeny bit, but dinner also sat in the wok for a while before we ate it.





















Chinese Jalapeno Chicken
adapted from Blog Chef

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" cubes
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp Mirin (rice wine)
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 jalapeno peppers, sliced (leave the seeds!)
2 tbsp sugar

Preheat oven to 375F.  Prepare a baking sheet with foil and cooking spray.  Place the chicken pieces on the baking sheet and toss with 2 tbsp cornstarch.  Spread the cubes out and bake until they're cooked through, about 12 minutes.  Just before chicken is done cooking (1-2 minutes), heat 2 tsp oil in a wok or big skillet.  Add jalapenos and stir-fry for 1 minute, until bright green and tender-crisp.  Remove and set aside.  Add garlic, rice wine, and soy sauce, and stir constantly for about a minute, until heated through.  Add the sugar and stir until the sauce thickens (about a minute).  Add the chicken to the wok and toss to coat.  Remove from heat and add jalapenos and toss before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment