Thursday, September 19, 2013

Coconut Shrimp Curry

I went on a special shopping expedition to the healthy foods store to get coconut oil for this recipe.  I even found another ingredient I had in the back of my mind that I might need, but hadn't sought it out yet.  It worked out very well.  Then I made the recipe and something went wrong when I added the cayenne.  I didn't measure and I ended up making it way too spicy.  I like spicy, but this spice was a little painful.  I might have ended up with nearly 1/2 tsp instead of 1/8.  Definitely measure if you're going to make this recipe!  Don't eyeball it!




















Coconut Shrimp Curry
from Healthy Recipes

1 tbsp coconut oil
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp salt, divided
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp fresh minced ginger
1/2 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk (I used reduced fat)
1 lb large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined

In a deep, heavy skillet (I used a wok), heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes.  Add the onion and 1/2 tsp of the salt and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes.  Meanwhile. in a small bowl, use a small fork to combine the coriander, cumin, turmeric, black pepper, cayenne and 1 tsp salt.  Add the garlic, ginger and seasonings to the skillet.  Cook, stirring, for about a minute.  Stir in the coconut milk.  Bring to a boil.  Add the shrimp and cook, uncovered, stirring gently until coated with the sauce and cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment