Thursday, January 2, 2014

Crockpot Cheesesteak Pulled Chicken

I was so proud of myself when I was prepping this recipe!  I chopped the veggies and onions the night before, and I got up early to put it in the crockpot before I went to work!  Then I got over 30 minutes away (almost to work) and realized I'd forgotten the beer.  I was devastated and scared.  I needed to stay at work for a bunch of calls and meetings, so there was no way I could get home.  I thought about texting any of my local friends to get in my house with the spare key to pour a beer in the pot or turn the thing off, but that would have set off the dogs and I didn't want someone to have to deal with that.  So, I hoped for the best and freaked out all day.  I got home and the garage smelled very strongly of peppers and onions.  I went in, terrified that I'd burned up the kitchen, but there was so much extra liquid in the pot!  It was no problem at all!  The chicken turned out to be really moist and delicious!  We ate lots of leftovers.  Phew.  What a relief!





















Crockpot Cheesesteak Pulled Chicken
from How Sweet It Is

2 green peppers, sliced
2 sweet onions, sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
8 oz of your favorite beer (or not! doesn't matter! yay!)
8 oz freshly grated white cheddar cheese
whole grain buns, toasted

Layer peppers and onions in the bottom of the crockpot.  Add garlic evenly over the top.  Place the chicken on top and sprinkle with salt, pepper and paprika.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.  When done, shred chicken carefully in the crockpot with two forks (don't scratch the crockpot).  If there looks like there's too much liquid covering the chicken, pour some out and discard.  Add the shredded cheese and stir to mix in.  Turn to "warm" or turn off and cover, and let the cheese melt in for about 5 minutes.  Serve on toasted buns.

No comments:

Post a Comment