Friday, July 12, 2013

Broccoli Salad

This is a frequent summer weekend staple for us, especially when we have company and cook out.  I love the mix of savory and sweet in this salad.






















Broccoli Salad

1 large bag Broccoli Wokly (cut down to crowns only, break up large pieces)
1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
6 pieces bacon, cooked and crumbled
3/4-1 cup shredded mozzarella (whatever looks right)
2 tbsp cider vinegar
1 cup light mayonnaise
1/4 cup sugar (a little less)

Mix vinegar, mayonnaise and sugar in a large bowl..  Add broccoli, onion, bacon and mozzarella and mix well, completely coating broccoli in mayo mix.  Refrigerate at least 30 minutes to blend flavors and serve chilled.



Funny (to me) story:  I made this to take to a friend's house the other week because she told me not to bring wine (uh, what else is there to bring??).  I had to do something, so I threw this together in a pinch.  I followed the written recipe I have that I found who-knows-where and it called for 8 oz (a bag - 2 cups) of mozzarella.  I didn't have any at home, so I stopped at a grocery store in a rush, on my way to her house.  I threw the whole bag into the bowl and shook it up there in the parking lot.  I got to the house and looked in the bowl... it was now shredded mozzarella salad with a hint of broccoli.  It still ended up being really good, despite having to pick around the cheese a little bit.  Lesson learned, hence the above 3/4 cup.  You really have to eyeball it based on how much broccoli you have.  Although it can always support more bacon!

No comments:

Post a Comment