Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Paprika Shrimp with Orange and Avocado Salsa

I rarely pick up cooking magazines in stores because, although the food on the cover looks delicious, I figure I'll just go to the Internet.  However we were stuck in a Home Depot or Lowe's checkout line a while back, and I just kind of had to have the issue of Fine Cooking that was staring back at me.  It took the better part of a year for me to actually get to making anything because I was worried about recipes being too complicated, and again, the Internet.  This was really, really good.  The shrimp is spicy, the avocado is creamy and the orange is sweet.  I would make this again if I was trying to impress someone with my cooking skills, and, better yet, it was actually really easy once the prep was done.




















Paprika Shrimp with Orange and Avocado Salsa
from Fine Cooking

2 medium navel oranges
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt
1 ripe avocado, cut into medium dice
1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions (about 4)
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp Tabasco sauce
1 1/2 lb large shrimp (21-25pp), peeled and deveined

Position an oven rack 4 inches from the broiler and heat to high.  Slice the ends off each orange with a small, sharp knife.  Stand the orange on one end and slice off the skin in strips, cutting below the white part.  Cut the orange segments out of the middle white membrane.  Slice over a bowl to catch extra juice.  Cut the slices in half, crosswise.  Add 2 tbsp of olive oil, 3/4 tsp salt, the avocado, scallions and lime juice to the bowl and toss gently to combine.  In a medium bowl, combine 3 tbsp of oil, paprika, cumin, Tabasco and 1 tsp salt.  Stir well and add shrimp, tossing to coat completely.  Arrange shrimp on a foil-lined baking sheet prepared with cooking spray.  Broil until the shrimp are opaque and cooked through, about 4 minutes.  Serve shrimp on saffron (yellow) rice, topping with salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment