Monday, July 1, 2013

Chicken Caprese "Nachos" with Marinated Tomatoes

I'd just gotten some amazing local (Lancaster, close enough), fresh-picked tomatoes when I came across this recipe.  They were heavenly in this marinade!  I'm so happy to have the farmers market up and running!  Next time I make this recipe (and there will be a next time), I'm going to get the "chips" crispier and use fresh shredded mozzarella cheese.  I hate when each nacho doesn't have a even serving of cheese.  Also, as I've mentioned before, I really need to get better at balsamic reductions.  I'll also take a better picture.




















Chicken Caprese Nachos with Marinated Tomatoes
from Iowa Girl Eats

4 burrito-sized flour tortillas (I used Carb Balance from Mission)
1 lb chicken greasts, cooked and shredded (2-3 breasts)
8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, shredded or cubed
1 cup balsamic vinegar

For marinated tomatoes:
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
4 cloves garlic, smashed
1 tsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1 lb vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and chopped (3-4 tomatoes)

Marinated tomatoes:  Whisk together all ingredients except tomatoes in a medium bowl.  Add tomatoes and toss to coat.  Cover and refrigerate 15 minutes to 24 hours.  Remove garlic cloves before serving.

In a small saucepan, bring balsamic to a boil, then lower heat to medium and simmer until it's the consistency of thin maple syrup, about 15 minutes.  Let cool.

Preheat oven to 400F.  Cut flour tortillas into 8 wedges each.  Place on a foil- or parchment-lined baking sheet, sprayed with cooking spray.  Spray wedges with a generous amount of cooking spray.  Bake 3-4 minutes or until wedges are getting pretty crispy.  Top with shredded chicken and cheese and bake 4-5 more minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.  Top with cooled balsamic drizzle and serve with marinated tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment