Friday, July 12, 2013

Korean Beef ('Cheater'-style)

I was introduced to Korean BBQ a few years ago and I really don't get down to the closest restaurant enough.  It's well over an away from my house, and really worth the drive if I would just bite the bullet.  They also send out a lot of coupons, which is great.  But since I can't get there often, this recipe is going to be a frequent flyer whenever I'm having a craving.  The flavor is so spot on to what I like to order (forgive me, I make my friends order from the picture menu for me since they know what I like). 






















Korean Ground Beef
from The Girl Who Ate Everything

1 lb lean ground beef
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp ginger, minced
1/2 - 1 tsp crushed red pepper (depending on how spicy you want it)
salt & pepper to taste
5 green onions, chopped

Heat a large skillet over medium heat.  Add sesame oil and ground beef.  Before the beef is fully cooked through, add the garlic for the last few minutes.  When beef is cooked, drain the fat and return to pan.  Stir in the brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, salt and pepper, and crushed red pepper.  Stir and simmer a few minutes to blend the flavors.  Just before serving, add green onions and toss.  Serve over brown rice or lettuce.



I'm thinking this would also be good in a lettuce wrap, like the Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps.  The flavor is totally different and it's such nice packaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment