Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Grilled Bacon Scallops

I keep telling you how I don't like to overdose on scallops and only really have them once a year, yet I've made them three times since January.  Probably for the sake of this "blog" and mixing it up.  Otherwise it would only ever be chicken, meatballs, shrimp, burger, chicken, pork, meatballs, chicken, shrimp, burger.  Plus when the second ingredient is bacon, I'm all over it.  This recipe is really just bacon wrapped scallops.

Oh, and do these look charred to you?  That's because I set my entire grill on fire and that temperature gauge went way past 600F and scared the crap out of me.  I screamed bloody murder until the man heard me and came running.  It was really embarrassing.  Lesson learned, which I pass on to you:  go easy on the olive oil.




















Grilled Bacon Scallops
adapted from Framed Cooks

16 large sea scallops (I found a bag of frozen, dry sea scallops at the store)
8 strips of bacon, cut in half
olive oil
fresh ground pepper
lemon juice
balsamic vinegar

Cook the bacon until halfway cooked (you can do this in a 400F oven for 5 minutes, or in the microwave for 3 minutes).  Let cool until you can handle them safely.  Wrap each scallop in a half piece of bacon.  Thread scallops onto skewers.  Brush the scallops on all sides with a little bit of olive oil and grind fresh pepper on top.  Heat the grill to medium high and place the skewers bacon-side down.  Cook for 4 minutes and then flip to the other bacon side.  Cook another 4 minutes until bacon is cooked through.  If the scallops aren't done and opaque by the time the bacon is done, place the skewers scallop-side down on the grill for a minute or two.  Put on a platter when done and drizzle with fresh lemon juice, chives and balsamic vinegar.

No comments:

Post a Comment